AAII Home AAII Blog

This article originally appeared in the June 2014 issue of the AAII Journal. Many articles exist on how to use financial data to pick solid mutual funds. But what comes after screening based on quantitative metrics? What about the other side of fund selection—the qualitative...

This article originally appeared in the September 2014 issue of the AAII Journal. Like mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are a way for investors to participate in the stock, bond and commodity markets; achieve a diversified portfolio; and gain access to a broad array of...

This article originally appeared in the November 2014 issue of the AAII Journal. About 70% of active equity mutual funds are closet indexers that generally fail to beat the market after fees. On the other hand, the other 30% of funds outperform on average. Thus, the task is to...

According to the Investment Company Institute’s Fact Book, in 2015, there were over 16,000 mutual funds, closed-end funds and exchange-traded funds. This is more than the current number of stocks listed on the NASDAQ, NYSE and Amex exchanges. [Editor’s note: As of January 31,...