This week’s special question asked AAII members how first-quarter earnings impacted their six-month outlook for stock prices. Nearly half of all respondents said the profit reports did not impact their outlook. Approximately 15% said the earnings reports made them more optimistic. A smaller group, 9% of all respondents, said they are more pessimistic about the short-term outlook for stock prices.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “No, I think an improving economic outlook will be more of a favorable driver of stock prices.”
- “Earnings have not influenced my outlook.”
- “First-quarter results were dampened by the weather. I expect that we will continue now with the old, slow growth.”
- “Positively, as good companies have maintained solid results despite the weather’s hit.”
- “I have not been impressed!”