This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members what they thought about the Federal Reserve’s decision to conclude its bond purchase program. Nearly two-thirds of respondents (64%) said it is a good idea or that was about time to end the program. About 13% of respondents said the Fed should have ended quantitative easing sooner. Approximately 8% thought the conclusion of the bond purchases will have little or no impact. A few members said the Fed could always restart the stimulus if economic conditions worsen.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “I think it’s an excellent idea. Maybe now there will be some investments for retired people other than just stocks.”
- “It should have been ended a long time ago.”
- “Well-telegraphed and done at the correct time.”
- “I think it was the right thing to do. They can restart if needed, but the economy needs to stand on its own.”
- “I’m glad they followed through as planned.”