Last month’s Asset Allocation Survey special question asked AAII members how their current allocation compares to their expectations. More than four out of 10 respondents (42%) said their current allocation is either about the same or matches their intended strategy. Slightly more than 17% said they are holding more cash than anticipated. About 8% said they have a higher-than-anticipated exposure to equities. Similar numbers of respondents (6% each) said they have less in equities or less in bonds than expected.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “About the same. I rebalance twice a year.”
- “Less in stocks and bonds due to market volatility.”
- “About the same. I don’t change my allocation much year to year.”
- “Much less bonds. I’m not replacing matured bonds.”
- “More cash than I would have thought.”