This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members how concerned they are about the performance of the S&P 500 and the NASDAQ being driven by a relatively small number of stocks. About 40% of respondents said they are not concerned. Some said they are more focused on other issues and other respondents said they invest for the long term. Slightly more than 22% said they are very concerned with several of these respondents viewing it as a bad sign for the markets. An additional 8% described themselves as being concerned and 5% said they are somewhat concerned.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “It shows that these indexes are not representative of the market.”
- “Not at all. I worry about specific stocks, not indexes.”
- “No concern, I dollar-cost average no matter what the market is doing.”
- “It’s a concern and will contribute to volatility over the next three to six months.”
- “This is a major reason why I am bearish over the next few months.”
Want to weigh in? Take the survey yourself and see results online at http://www.aaii.com/sentimentsurvey.
If you want to become an effective manager of your own assets and achieve your financial goals, consider a risk-free 30-day Trial AAII Membership.