This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members what they thought about the current dividend yield stocks are trading at. Three out of 10 respondents (30%) describe dividends as either being low or too low. Slightly more than 17% are satisfied with the current level of dividends, while 8% express a favorable opinion of the yields. About 10% of respondents either expect or want dividends to grow. Almost 5% of respondents say they do not consider dividends as part of their investing process.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “Way too low. I strongly prefer fewer stock buybacks and more dividends to reward shareholders.”
- “The yields are currently acceptable since they are still higher than the average interest paid on savings accounts.”
- “Too low, but so are yields from bonds and cash accounts!”
- “Satisfactory. Companies are continuing to increase their dividends at a solid pace.”
- “Dividends will increase as a result of company performance, and the yield will increase.”
If you want to become an effective manager of your own assets and achieve your financial goals, consider a risk-free 30-day Trial AAII Membership