This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members how, if at all, oil prices are affecting their outlook for the stock market in general. Approximately two-thirds of respondents (65%) said oil prices are having minimal or no impact. Many of these respondents simply said “no impact,” while others described the recent increase in oil prices as being temporary. Nearly 21% said oil prices are having a positive impact either by staying low enough to benefit the economy or high enough to help energy stocks. Only 17% view oil prices as having a negative impact.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “I don’t feel that oil prices impact the overall market (just the energy sector).”
- “I expect oil prices to remain range-bound. So they’re not impacting my outlook.”
- “It is not impacting my view of the market.”
- “Low oil prices are good for the economy.”
- “Oil and gas prices will, in all probability, be a major contributor to inflation.”
If you want to become an effective manager of your own assets and achieve your financial goals, consider a risk-free 30-day Trial AAII Membership.