This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members which sectors or industries they like right now. Twenty-seven percent of respondents said that they currently favor the health care sector, particularly the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. The second-most-favorable sector was a tie between the financial and energy sectors, which each garnered favorable mention from 10% of respondents. Other favorites were technology, consumer staples, metals and mining. A small percentage of members said that they aren’t currently favoring any sectors or industries.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “Based on the ‘baby boomer’ generation still getting older, I still see the health care sector as being positive in the near and long term.”
- “I buy individual stock prices under their intrinsic value. I don’t pay attention to sectors.”
- “Metals and mining, but I believe there are super negative catalysts approaching soon.”
- “I buy the following (but only on big dips): mining, biotech, consumer staples, tech.”
- “Energy: Still a great sector for a long term investor. Perhaps some real bargains now.”