Politics, Earnings Influence Six-month Stock Outlook for Members
This week’s Sentiment Survey special question asked AAII members what factors are most influencing their six-month outlook for stocks. Slightly more than half of all respondents (51%) said politics. The overwhelming majority of these respondents specifically referenced President Donald Trump. About 13% of all respondents said earnings were influencing their outlook, while an equal percentage said interest rates and monetary policy. Slightly more than 12% referenced the economy. Approximately 8% referenced geopolitics. Some respondents listed more than one factor.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “The Trump political situation.”
- “Lack of progress in repealing the Affordable Care Act and reforming the tax code.”
- “Rising interest rates and the lack of other investment options.”
- “The stock market at present is way overvalued.”
- “The positive earnings season just completed.”
If you want to become an effective manager of your own assets and achieve your financial goals, consider a risk-free 30-day Trial AAII Membership.