Last month’s Asset Allocation Survey special question asked AAII members how discussions about tax reform were impacting their portfolio decisions. More than 86% of respondents said tax reform was so far having limited or no impact on their decisions. Many respondents said they are waiting to see if tax reform legislation gets passed and, if it is passed, what changes to the tax code are made. About 5% of respondents said they are delaying making changes or are otherwise hesitant to make changes until they know how the bill will impact them.
Here is a sampling of the responses:
- “None, as I expect a lot of haggling and it may fall apart.”
- “Congress has much to do before I start making decisions regarding tax liability strategies.”
- “I have delayed some investment decisions pending the outcome of the tax revisions in the works.”
- “I’m waiting until the final passage of the bill before making any decision on potential portfolio adjustments.”
- “Not at all. I’ll react or have an opinion when Congress actually does something.”
If you want to become an effective manager of your own assets and achieve your financial goals, consider a risk-free 30-day Trial AAII Membership.